I’ve taught myself sewing, mostly by trial and error, and I’m far from doing anything that requires more than basic stitching.
My sister and her family’s new home has wonderful light throughout the house but no window coverings except on the sliding glass doors in the kitchen so I sewed a fabric roller blind for her kitchen and a pair of curtains for the living room.
Here is a “before” photo of their kitchen prior to our painting the walls and cabinets. You can see the roller blind in the window above.
And here is an “after” shot. After the blind was down, I took it off the actual roller and cut off the extra blind material so it would fit the length of the window with a few inches allowance. (The roller shade had been precut to fit the window’s width). Everything went without a hitch until we tried to attach the blind to the window brackets and discovered that the blind was too wide to fit. Argh! Neither my sister or I give up easily, thank goodness, and after hammering the brackets to flatten them, we were able to get the blind in the brackets.